Saturday, May 12, 2012

Blessed is the Man or Woman...


“Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night.” Psalms 1:1-2

I've been pondering the law of God recently. Righteous people had the law of God in their hearts “The law of his God is in his heart; none of his steps shall slide.” (Psalms 37:31) Jesus did too. “I delight to do thy will, O my God: yea, thy law is within my heart.” (Psalms 40:8) So what does it mean to have the law of God in our hearts? How does it practically fit into our lives?

As I read what someone else had said: "God's law is the transcript of His character;" and also Jeremiah 31:33 where God says "I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts" it became more than just a law, but practical and beautiful. Do you see it? To have God's law written in our hearts is to have the character of God written within! Jesus is our perfect example of the law of God lived out - the perfect expression of God's character. And He is the source, the strength and power that enables us to have the law within us.

“The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul...” (Psalms 19:7) An alternate reading of "converting" is "restoring", and at the heart of the law is love so we can say "the love of the LORD is perfect restoring the soul". It is love - God's pure love and character that draws us to Him and heals the wounds in our hearts and it is the same that is written in our hearts that restores us into His image.

Truly, blessed is the man or woman who delights in the law (character) of God and has it within their hearts!

Don't forget, if we are willing, God promises: "I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts". He will transform our characters to be like His and He promises “My covenant will I not break, nor alter the thing that is gone out of my lips.” Psalms 89:34

What does God's law mean to you?

3 comments:

  1. Such a good reminder about what kind of counsel we should be seeking all the days of our lives! (Sometimes, even those who call themselves Christians seek ungodly/unwise counsel and perhaps without even realizing it too... we have to be careful!)
    I delight in God's law and also the liberty of His law for in Him I have a freedom that is most wonderful.
    And because I seek His will in all areas of my life, He blesses me. Not by my strength but by His, I can be obedient each day. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) yes! God does bless those seek His will in their lives and put their trust in Him!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...