Monday, February 7, 2011

To be Hungry

“...Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.
“Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.”
On my lap my Bible was open to Matthew 5 – the Sermon on the Mount. I desired all the promises to be applicable to me. But most of all, I wanted to be hungry. Struggling with reading my Bible – I felt helpless. I knew I’d lost that love and fire for God. Here was a promise that I’d be filled. It sounded nice, but there was the first part of the promise to get past.
I tried to make that burning desire in me – didn’t work.
Then I remembered an editorial I’d read in Young Disciple. The thoughts came back. “Ask God to make you hungry. To give you a starvation for Him. It’s a prayer He loves to answer.”
I lay my Bible beside me on the green grass. I knelt.
“Father, You know Your promise, to fill me – satisfy my heart: I have a strange request. I’m willing to be made willing. I surrender. Take over my heart and put a hunger there please. I’m trusting You.”
I knew He would. I read Revelation 3:20. "Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If any man hear my voice, and open the door; I will come in to him, and sup with him and he with Me." If He were to sup with me, He would first have to make me hungry to eat.

Inspiring meetings at camp, coupled with Desire of Ages and other things, God did do that miracle in me. He gave me a heart burning to know Him more. To be like Him. A longing to spend time with Him. To share the joy of it with my friends.
My prayer was answered. In the cool breeze I prayed again. Now I thought of others. The one’s dear to me that don’t know God. I hear myself repeating that request again - for them. I ask now, knowing in whom I have believed.
“Father, thank-You for both making me hungry and filling me. Please make him willing to be willing. I can’t wait to see what you’ll do. I know you will. “

2 comments:

  1. :) loved this :)
    Everyone's asleep here atm (or at least I think so) and I thought I'd have a quick look at what you'd written before hitting the day. really loved this post - it inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  2. praise God that he gives the hunger... and He will make us willing... prayers will be answered, I know it! praise God!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...