Wednesday, February 9, 2011

"Perfectly..."

"Oh Grandpa, I think it's good enough!" I stated. "No, we want it perfectly clean" Grandpa replied with a smile and a twinkle in his eye as he pointed to the name of the bottle of "Perfect Glass" window cleaner in his hand. So we went to work, cleaning and cleaning this car that I didn't think deserved all that time and effort. Sometime later, I exclaimed jubilantly, "I think we are done Grandpa!" "Well, see that over there?" He asked pointing the rubber part on the floor, "I want to clean that, so no, we aren't done, not to my standards" He said with another one of those winning smiles and laughs that only dear grandpa can make. So back to work, with sponge and water and soap etc.. Finally I thought we were done, but no, the carpet needed shampooing, the little cracks needed a brush taken to them etc... Ah! We had to make it come up to Grandpa's standard of perfection, and we could settle for nothing less.

I would have thought differently and cared a lot more if it was Grandpa's nice car, but for our 'junky' car that we are planning to sell, what was the use? I really didn't care for it, and it was already so old and beat up, why did it matter if everything was so perfectly clean? I didn't think it was really necessary, and I didn't understand why my dearest Grandpa cared so much about it, but never-the-less, I so loved being with him and working with him, it didn't really matter. It got me thinking though...

It's kind of that way with God and us. He sees potential; he sees what we can become even though we are pieces of "junk" and so undeserving of his care. He loves us and cares so much about us that he won't be satisfied with just "good enough". He will go through whatever it takes; put as much effort and time into making us perfect so that we can be perfect enough for heaven. God is working in us, and putting so much effort into us to perfect us, even though we so do not deserve it!

It's just an amazing thought that God is working with us individually, to make us perfect and and loves us un-conditionally no matter what we are like! He won't just start the work and do it haphazardly, but will do it to perfection!

“The LORD will perfect that which concerneth me: thy mercy, O LORD, endureth for ever: forsake not the works of thine own hands.” (Psalms 138:8)

“Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:” (Philippians 1:6)

I'm so thankful for those promises! I'm so thankful God will not give up on me or think me undeserving or hopeless or a piece of "junk". You know dear friend, he doesn't think that of you either, in fact, you and I are his treasures. :)

1 comment:

  1. This makes me smile so much! I love the story of your sweet Grandpa.... and I love that our Father cares that much about us. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...