Friday, January 7, 2011

Reach Out and Touch


Reach out and touch a soul that is hungry;
Reach out and touch a spirit in despair;
Reach out and touch a life torn and dirty,
A man who is lonely - If you care!

Reach out and touch that neighbor who hates you;

Reach out and touch that stranger who meets you;
Reach out and touch the brother who needs you;
Reach out and let the smile of God touch thro' you.

Reach out and touch a friend who is weary;

Reach out and touch a seeker unaware;
Reach out and touch tho' touching means losing
A part of your own self - If you dare!

Reach out and give your love to the love-less;

Reach out and make a home for the homeless;
Reach out and shed God's light in the darkness;
Reach out and let the smile of God touch thro' you.

~Charles F. Brown

Once upon a time there was a man, cold and weary, hungry and dirty, sad and lonely that sat beside the enterance to the grocery store. Seeing this man in such a wretched condition touched the heart of one who was much better off. Finding a blanket, putting a little food and a few dollars in a bag she gave it to the poor man. He looked at her with gratitude in his eyes and extended his hand to shake hers in thanks but seeing how dirty he was she could not bring herself to shake his hand and soon left him alone again... Sometimes I wonder, would I have been willing to reach out to shake his wet and grimy hand and tell him of my Saviours love?

Would I be willing to reach out and give my love to the love-less? Would I be willing to reach out and shed God's light in the darkness and let the smile of God touch thro' me?

Father, I don't know the answer to those questions, but oh, make me willing to reach out and touch! Help me to realize that to lose is to really to gain.

Reach out and touch....

3 comments:

  1. I was teaching in a college freshman Sunday School department in the early seventies. One morning, one of the upperclassmen gave a devotional on "the smile of God." As he concluded, he made the point that, sometimes, you can be the smile of God to others. I silently prayed, "Thank you, Lord," went to my home, and the song pretty much wrote itself that Sunday afternoon. I continue to be amazed and wonderfully thankful that it continues to spread that message. Thank you for using it again.--Charles F. Brown

    .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Charles!

    I was very surprised that you found my little blog but it's great to make your acquaintance and to hear the story behind the song. God is good and when we allow Him, He will work through us to do wonderful things for Him. Sometimes it's through poetry, music, writing, working etc... :-) Our God is wonderful.

    Thank You for letting God use you to write the song and for allowing us to use it to spread the message. :-) Thank you for leaving a comment. :-)

    Because He lives,
    Elyssa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charles,
    God brought your song title to me in the middle of the night last night. I had just lost my baby brother only a week ago. Needing reassurance of where he was, I googled the words to your song, at first opportunity, this morning. The phrases "Reach out and touch the brother who needs you; Reach out and let the smile of God touch through you, " grabbed my heart. Indeed, this is what I had done for the final years he had on earth. I am absolutely sure that God smiled through me with every phone call, card, and loving gesture. I have no regrets in that regard, because I feel I have been obedient.
    I haven't thought of this particular song in many years, but God chose to pull it out of my memory bank for a strategic message to me this morning. How thankful I am to you that you were obedient in writing what God Himself put on your heart.
    God spoke to my heart this morning and said, "You did your part (regarding your brother), now you have to trust that I did mine."
    Gratefully,
    Candace

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...