Friday, July 23, 2010

In Our Streets

"Have you read it?" my brother-in-law asked.
We weren't sure. He'd recited a quote.
"Tell us about it then."
"No way!" he responded enthusiastically, "I'll read it to you!"
"It's Gospel Workers page 479," he added.
Then he read it. And it shook me to my core.
We'd been discussing complaining. Nathan had been pointing out that that telling someone a problem wouldn't help solve it at all. Unless the listener was the person involved.
That's when he brought up that quote. It left us silent. Pondering the power of what it said.
"When tempted to complain of what some one has said or done, praise something in that person's life or character.... The very act of looking for evil in others develops evil in those who look. By dwelling upon the faults of others, we are changed into the same image."
My mind started ticking. There were people I'd found fault with. 'I don't like this,' I thought, 'and I need to change it. I want to think well of everybody.' And I didn't want to be evil or unkind. But there was more than that. There was a promise too! "But by beholding Jesus, talking of His love and perfection of character, we become changed into His image."
The conversation dwindled down, and I trailed off to bed. Deep in thought. I talked to God and lay down.
Ten positives. The idea hit me and I liked it. Thinking of a few people, I picked one after another out.... and began counting their good points. I went to sleep with more friends that night. And a grudge-free conscious.
"...no complaining in our streets. Happy is that people that is in such a case, yea, happy is that people, whose God is the Lord!" Psalm 144:14

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...