Tuesday, January 26, 2010

"..what is sweetness?"

I told my sister the other day, "I don't care to be very pretty, I just to be sweet and to love like Jesus does."
I discussed it with her. We talked about different people who were like that. I pondered it. What made them that way? Smilieness? being super friendly? having a good self-esteem?... what exactly? I knew it all contributed, but the big thing - what was it? I wondered. Then I heard a sermon, in it was mentioned how a sweet freshness will flow from those who live in self-forgetfulness. How? By reading God's word. There was my answer!
I know it's definitely not simple... often I realize how selfish my heart really is. I catch my thoughts focusing on myself and what I want to do, and how I can do it.
One evening, after tea I just felt like checking my emails and the newest with the blogs I follow. Then I remembered the dishes. Now, while I don't mind doing them and like getting the job done, it's not my very favorite. Then a had a bit a reality check.


My sister will generally do them even if she's tired, been working herself off her feet looking after the boys all day. She rarely asks me to do them. Then I realized how selfish my heart was. She didn't think of how do get out of it. Sometimes I didn't necessarily want to get out of it, but just did other jobs instead. Because I didn't want to do it. But I recognized that in fighting the selfish inclination, I would help myself. I did those dishes. ...and when I did, I had the satisfaction of a job well-done, and a victory won.

Father, I know I can't do it on my own - but I choose to follow You wherever You lead. Through Jesus, I'll obey You... and by Your grace I will become like Him. Thank-You Father!
~Christella

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...