Thursday, December 3, 2009

Perspectives and Attitudes

One day, we were out gathering firewood for the winter. I was glad that I finally caught up and had all the logs loaded into the truck while dad was busy trying to get the chain back on that had come off the chainsaw. The ground looked so soft with all those pine needles that I thought that I would lay down for a few minutes since there wasn't anything else for me to do right then.

Looking up into the sky, it was so beautiful with the blue background and fluffy white clouds floating around. As I looked around at things upside down, everything looked so much more beautiful! All the dead branches and the ugly things actually looked different. They had a sort of beauty that I didn't see before. I started thinking about perspectives and attitudes.

Everything that the human eye beholds, the brain flips the image upside down. So when we think we are looking at things right side up, we are actually looking at them upside down. So when you look upside down, you're actually looking right side up. If that makes sense.

It's so easy to look at life upside down. It's so easy to see the ugliness, the heartache, the wrongs and dwell upon these things. It so easy to complain about our 'lot in life', but this just makes us unpleasant to be around and brings a dark cloud around us.

However, we can look at life right side up and we should! We can choose to see the beauty and the blessings in life. We can choose to forgive, we can choose to love, we can choose to trust God in the uncertainties and sorrows of life and we can choose to be thankful and have an attitude of gratitude.

I read a poem once that basically said that we can thank God for dirty dishes to wash because that means that we've been able to eat. Now I often think of it as I wash dishes and say in my heart "Thank you Lord for the dishes to wash because we've had yet another good meal." We are blessed because there are many in this world who are hungry, who are starving. That's just one example of finding something to be thankful for.

Laying in those pine needles I was inspired to look at life the real right side up and I pray that God will help me to have the right perspective and an attitude of gratitude always.

“He shall not be afraid of evil tidings: his heart is fixed, trusting in the LORD.” (Psalms 112:7)

“Saying, Amen: Blessing, and glory, and wisdom, and thanksgiving, and honour, and power, and might, be unto our God for ever and ever. Amen.” (Revelation 7:12)

1 comment:

  1. That's beautiful and I really appreciate the concept you emphasised of deciding which perspective to take. We can choose to think positively or negatively about every situation we are involved in. Anyone can grumble, but a person filled with the spirit of Jesus is going to be motivated to look for the something special or positive in that situation. It's good to read about that now, especially since we have sickness and pain in our family. Some good will come out of this - hopefully healing! Thanks again for the uplifting thoughts.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...